When surf fishing, it is crucial to have the right type of fishing equipment on standby. For instance, fishing hooks are among the most essential fishing tools that determine whether you’ll catch several fish or go home empty-handed.
With several brands to choose from, you’ll need to consider factors such as weight, shape, size, and material used when buying hooks for surf fishing. Some hooks come with longer shanks and wider eyes, while others have steeper bends, depending on the type of fish you want to catch. Each has its advantages and disadvantages.
In this review, we will critically examine 10 of the best hooks for surf fishing that won’t break the bank while also providing an in-depth buyers’ guide to shed more light on the do’s and don’ts of buying saltwater fishing hooks.
JSHANMEI is a well-known name for both fresh and saltwater fishing. This high carbon steel fishing hook comes as a package of 150 per lot, thus giving you a wide range of hooks based on size.
When purchasing this lot, you’ll get 25 pieces of size 1, 1/0, 2/0,3/0, 4/0 and 5/0, all of which come in a high-quality, reusable plastic container.
The use of high carbon steel ensures that the hooks are corrosion resistant, allowing you to reuse them provided they are well sharpened and maintained.
These Octopus circle hooks also come with a unique, well-sharpened circle hook design that reduces fish mortality rate.
- Well balanced package of 150 pieces in different sizes
- The use of high carbon steel allows for corrosion resistance and high strength
- The circle hooks come sharpened and ready for use
- Comes with a well-pronounced circular bend and short shank for holding onto more fish
- Has a steep inward bending point that reduces chances of caught fish escaping
- The short shank might not be ideal for some large-sized fish.
When buying this high-quality set of fishing hooks, you get 180 pieces of differently-sized hooks for your various fishing needs.
The box contains 50 pieces for sizes 1/0 and 2/0 while you get 20 pieces of size 3/0, 4/0, 5/0 and 6/0. All these hooks are placed in a well partitioned, reusable plastic box.
The use of high-quality stainless steel reinforces the hooks` strength, consequently reducing the chances of bending.
Corrosion resistance and endurance are properties that ensure the hooks last long and are reusable.
The fishing hooks are circular in design and come with an offset point, closed eye, short shank, and uniquely barbed hooks to ensure your angle well to catch both large and small-sized fish.
These Beoccudo Circle Fishing Hooks are ideal for both fresh and saltwater fishing, meaning you can also use them for your freshwater fishing escapades.
- Ideal for catching a variety of large and smallmouth fish such as crappie, trout, catfish, perch, tuna, and walleye
- The uniquely barbed design allows for smooth penetration of different sized fishes
- Comes with a chemically sharpened hook that ensures you can reuse several without sharpening
- Comes with a tightly close hook eye to prevent the fishing line from sliding off
- Might prove hard to sharpen if used frequently before sharpening
Mustad needs no introduction when it comes to the manufacture of high-quality fishing gear.
The Mustad Classic 39944 comes in a variety of sizes, which you get to choose upon purchase (meaning you don’t have to settle for predetermined sizes).
The circle hook boasts a superior, distinctly curved shape that travels to the corner of the fish’s mouth, thus preventing gut or deep-hooking instances.
Additionally, this high-quality fishing hook comes with an MTL-V1 point that allows for easier and more efficient sharpening, resulting in sharper and better penetrating hook points.
The hook boasts of Mustad’s well-renowned Wire Technology and Nor-Tempering Process that makes the hooks lighter and stronger.
The well-curved tip allows for the capture of wahoo, small tuna, striped bass, permit, and sailfish.
- Ideal for both salt and freshwater fishing
- Light and strong due to Mustad’s Wire Technology and Nor-Tempering production process
- High carbon content allows for increased durability
- Easy to sharpen and retains its sharp edges thus eliminating the need for constant sharpening
- Costlier compared to other fishing hooks.
The UCEC high carbon fishing hooks are well known for their ease of use, especially for first-time anglers.
This package comes with 150 hooks wherein 30 hooks are size 1 and 1/0 while sizes 2/0, 3/0 and 4/0 come each as 20 pieces.
You also get sizes 5/0, 6/0 and 8/0 in quantities of 10 per size.
The eight mixed sizes increase the fishing hooks’ versatility, allowing you to catch different fishes such as trout, sunfish, channel catfish, flathead catfish, and even the blue catfish with relative ease.
When it comes to toughness and durability, you can count on the UCEC High Carbon Fishing hooks to serve you repeatedly.
The high carbon content reduces the chances of corrosion when fishing in salty and sandy beaches.
- Premium craftsmanship as the hook eye is well bent to form a smooth circle
- The shaft gently bends thus allowing for easy fish capture
- The barb comes with a masterful design that keeps caught fish in place
- Ideal for catching different types of fish
- The curl on the tip can be a challenge for inexperienced anglers.
This set contains 500 fishing hooks that are well-assorted in different sizes to suit your various fishing needs.
The high carbon content allows for repeated reuse without having to replace, especially when saltwater fishing.
Compared to hooks made by other brands, these hooks maintain their sharpness, thus eliminating the need for constant sharpening before casting.
Moreover, the barbed hook design is ideal for catching and trapping fishes, consequently reducing the chances of escape.
The kuai set of 500 hooks is ideal for rigging with rubber, plastic, and worm baits, making it highly versatile for fresh and saltwater fishing.
When purchasing this set, you get ten different hook sizes to fish around with.
The set comes packed with 60 pieces of sizes 3/0, 4/0, 5/0, 6/0 and 7/0 each. Sizes 8/0, 9/0, 10/0, 11/0 and 12/0 come in quantities of 40 pieces each.
- Sharp barb hooks
- High carbon content reduces the chances of corrosion
- Ideal for reuse
- Can be used when rigging with worms, plastic and rubber baits
- Comes with a high-quality transparent box for separating the different sized hooks
- The smallest size is excessively small and hard for first-timers to use
Dyxssm is the go-to brand for anglers who want fishing hooks that are 30% sharper than other hooks.
Besides their impressive sharpness levels, these hooks are strong and sturdy, making them difficult to break.
This high-quality hook for surf fishing comes with a uniquely barbed design that helps ensure the hook point conveniently rolls to the fish’s mouth, thus lowering fish mortality.
It is also made from 82A tungsten steel that boasts high abrasion and elasticity for both fresh and saltwater fishing.
- Extremely sharp for increased capture of fish
- Made of premium 82A tungsten steel
- Strong enough to handle large-sized fishes
- Versatile enough to catch a variety of fish in both fresh and saltwater
- Won’t be as sharp as new once used repeatedly
The AGOOL Circle Hooks Saltwater comes in different sizes to suit your specific fishing preferences.
You can buy the hooks in different sets from 120- size 1/0 pieces to 200-size 8/0 pieces, thus allowing you to have as much of your preferred size as opposed to a balance of many sizes.
AGOOL Circle Hooks are made from high-quality carbon steel material with a touch of black nickel coating.
This allows for improved resistance to both rust and corrosion when angling in saltwater.
The sharp offset point, coupled with the specially designed barbed hook, allows for reduced fish mortality, making it possible to catch and release.
- Easily reusable due to high carbon content and nickel coating
- Ideal for both fresh and saltwater fishing
- Users get to choose the quantities of their preferred sizes
- Ideal for catching catfish, bass, tarpon, snapper, sea trout and cobia due to its steep circular bend
- Not easy to sharpen
Surf fishing works best with live bait, and this Mustad UltraPoint Demon fishing hook is designed to hold worms and other varieties of live bait with relative ease.
These unique fishing hooks use Mustad’s hugely popular Ultra-Point Technology that ensures the hook point stays sharper for longer, resists rolling, and is durable.
This package comes with 25 hooks, although you can choose from 8 other sizes like 3/0, 4/0, 5/0, 6/0, 7/0, 8/0, 9/0, 10/0, depending on your preferences.
Mustad UltraPoint is well known for including technological advancements in its fishing gear, and the UltraPoint Demon Extra Strong Fishing Hook is no different.
This hook comes packed with Mustad’s Wire Technology and Nor-Tempering process, which means you get lighter and stronger hooks for your surf fishing adventures.
If you’re the catch and release type of angler, you’ll love the in-line patterns in this fishing hook that guarantee next to zero mortality rates.
- Holds live bait in place with little resistance
- Uses Mustad’s Ultra Point Technology to keep hook points sharper for longer
- Comes in a variety of sizes thus allowing for the catch of different fish types
- Ideal for saltwater fishing due to its high carbon content
- In-line patterns reduce fish mortality rates
- The pack comes with only 25 pieces.
VIPMOON is well-known for its finely manufactured fishing hooks that can be reused severally without the need for replacement.
The package comes in 10 varying sizes. You get 60 pieces for sizes 3, 4, 5, 6, and 7 each.
You also get 40 pieces for sizes 8, 9, 10, 11, and 12 each. The variety of sizes allows you to catch different types and sizes of fish.
The fish hook is made from stainless steel and measures an average length of 1-2.5cm.
You also get a well-partitioned plastic box that helps you separate the different sizes and easily access your hooks.
- Comes packed in a well-partitioned plastic container
- Contains 500 pieces, which reduces the need for constant purchase
- Comes in 10 different sizes, thus making it ideal for capturing different sizes of fish
- Made from durable stainless steel that reduces chances of rust and corrosion
- The hooks tend to be heavy.
This sharp and well-designed Shaddock Fishing hook is ideal for live and fresh cut bait.
You can easily catch bass, rockfish, yellowtail, and catfish due to the short shank and unique swept-back eye setup.
The steep circular bend and the inward bending point ensure the hook holds on to more fish, thus allowing for productive surf fishing.
The package comes in different sizes that you get to choose from. You can select from over 16 sizes of hooks, which allows you to catch different types and sizes of fish.
The use of high carbon steel in the manufacture of the hooks prevents corrosion and rust, thus reducing the need for regular replacement.
- The circle hook design allows for reduced mortality rate
- Comes in sixteen different sizes, thus ensuring you catch different types of fish
- Ideal for live and fresh cut bait, making the set perfect for surf fishing
- Tough and strong due to the use of high carbon steel
- The tips can break off after repeated use, especially when used on heavy fish.
How to Choose the Best Fishing Hooks for Surf Fishing
Understand the Size of the Fishing Hooks
The hook size plays a massive role in determining the type of fish you catch. As shown in the image below, a size one hook will be larger than a size 8.
On the other hand, a 7-aught hook is larger than a 1-aught hook. A small sized hook can help you land both small and big fish, but a large hook is ideal for big-sized fish.
Check on Thickness of Wire Gauges of the Fishing Hooks
When surf fishing, your hook might hit corals or run into obstacles, meaning a hook made from thick gauge wire will come in handy.
The thickness helps the hook retain its curve, allowing it to hold the bait and make a good presentation to attract fish.
Generally, the larger the size of the targeted fish, the thicker the hook you’ll need.
Consider the Types of Hooks
Hooks come in various categories, such as “J” hooks, circle hooks, and Kahle hooks. You have to choose the best type of hook for your surf fishing expeditions.
The ‘J’ hook, for instance, has a straight shank and hooks on the fish’s mouth. You must set the hook when dealing with J hooks.
However, Circle Hooks are designed to settle in a fish’s jaw after rotating in the mouth. You don’t have to set or jerk the hook. Circle hooks lower fish mortality and are ideal for catch and release.
Kahle Hooks tend to point towards the hook eye as opposed to the shank.
These types of hooks are ideal for bass fishing but tend to lead to gut-hooking, meaning that fishes are likely to die once they bite bait off these hooks.
Durability and Ease of Sharpening
When fishing on salty water, corrosion and rust are major factors to consider. Due to this, it is advisable to go for fishing hooks made from high carbon steel that is usually corrosion resistant.
Another essential factor to consider is the ease of sharpening. While you might need to buy new hooks after repeated use, using easy-to-sharp hooks will help you save on replacement costs.
Always buy sharp hooks that will stick into the fish’s mouth as surf fishing with blunt hooks will only lead to disappointments.
Do you prefer buying a set or a select number of fishing hooks? Buying surf fishing hooks as a set has its advantages.
First, you’ll get a variety of sizes in different quantities, meaning you can target different sizes of fish without any worry.
Second, most sets come with a reusable, well-partitioned plastic container that allows you to store the hooks neatly.
You can also choose to buy different sized hooks individuality such as 30 pieces of size 7/0 depending on your fishing preferences.
When looking to buy the best hooks for surf fishing, you must choose a set or hook that perfectly suits your target fish. Large fishes will require thicker and larger hooks compared to their smaller counterparts.
Additionally, since you’ll be fishing on salty water, it is advisable to choose high carbon steel hooks resistant to corrosion and rust.
A rusty fishing hook will do you no good as it’ll weaken up gradually, thus allowing your catch to escape easily-and you don’t want that!
Now that we have discussed the best fishing hooks for your surf fishing adventures, you should be well prepared to choose one that will help you catch loads of fish, and make your angling efforts worthwhile.